Monday, November 29, 2010

A win and all is well, or is it not?


I missed the live game against Villa as I was on a plane coming back from a trip. Throughout the plane ride, the only thing that was going through my mind was: please don’t let the Gunners lose again. I don’t think I could take another loss this week.

Luckily, the powers above must have heard my prayers and bestowed upon the Gunners a gallant win. I managed to catch a replay of the match and from what I saw; we seemed to have some of our zest back. That we were facing a depleted Aston Villa might have something to do with that but it was a much needed victory nonetheless.

I said in my match preview that we might do better without Cesc. The result and performance of this game could be early signs that I am right but since the skipper will be missing for another two weeks, we should have plenty of evidence to see if his absence is really better for us. On Saturday, we certainly looked better without him as Arshavin and Nasri took turns to orchestra the offence. This allowed the offense to be less predictable that it has ever been in the past couple of weeks.

However, we should not get carried away with this win. Yes we scored four goals but we also showed our defensive frailties again. At 2-1 and then 3-2 up, the opposition could have scored and we would have dropped points again. We just cannot keep the opposition from scoring. Seriously I don’t know why. It just seem like we cannot defend for the whole ninety minutes. I don’t think we learnt anything from our defeats so far. It seems like this season, we just have to score a lot more goals in a match because a one goal lead won’t be enough to guarantee us the points in any game.

Tomorrow, we host Wigan in the Carling Cup quarter-finals. My match preview will follow but this is one game which we really don’t want to mess up. Arsene has said he will field a strong side and he must. This is the best chance for our first title in 5 years and the boys better not ****up this opportunity.
Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment